Author Gary Hibberd 10 Steps to GDPR The General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) is a dramatic shake-up of data protection laws that affects European and UK citizens, and comes into force on May 25th 2018. In less than two years how you collect, store, share and erase the Personal information you hold on individuals will change. …
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
What is GDPR?
GDPR in a nutshell: A new law for data protection.
The GDPR will apply in the UK from 25 May 2018. The law applies across European nations, including the United Kingdom.
- The current DPA 1998 legislation is repealed on 24th May 2018.
- The GDPR is a regulation and comes into force immediately on the 25th May 2018.
- The regulations apply to EVERY organisation, irrespective of size or sector
- Six Principals replace the current eight principals
- The six principals focus on ‘Accountability’
- Companies who breach GDPR will expect fines up to 4% of global TURNOVER (or 20million Euro whichever is the higher)
- Companies need a clear process for managing Data Breaches
- Breaches need to be notified to the ICO within 72hrs
- You will need to seek ‘Consent’ to store the information you hold (and yes, this is retrospective!)
- Companies will need to assign a Data Protection Officer
- Data Subjects (ie. You and I) have additional rights which include ‘Right to be forgotten’ and ‘Portability of data’
- Charges for ‘Subject Access Requests’ (SARs) have been removed
- ‘Privacy by Design and Default’ is a core principal, meaning you need to think about Privacy in your services
- ‘Data Protection Impact Assessments’ need to be conducted
Contact a member of the Agenci team to find out how you can be GDPR compliant
Speak to a member of the team now on
03455 760 999
Author Gary Hibberd 10 steps to prepare for GDPR On May 25th 2018 something monumental happens. The current Data Protection Act is repealed and a new regulation comes into force. The General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). What do I have to do for GDPR People often ask us what do we need to for GDPR? …
Author Gary Hibberd On May 25th 2018, something monumental happens. The current Data Protection Act is repealed and a new regulation comes into force being the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). If you aren’t aware of what the new regulations are let me summarise it for you. Why GDPR is Important • It’s the biggest …
Author Gary Hibberd The GDPR Myth One of the biggest ‘myths’ or misunderstandings surrounding GDPR (and there are many) is that it only applies to large organisations, processing large amounts of Personal identifiable information (PII). If you’re someone who believes this, then it’s time for a reality check. Does GDPR apply to me? The Information …
Author Gary Hibberd On May 25th 2018, something monumental happens – The current Data Protection Act is repealed and a new regulation comes into force; The General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). If you aren’t aware of what the new regulations are, let me summarise it for you; Top 10 GDPR Facts It’s the biggest shake …
Author Gary Hibberd On April 14th 1912 the RMS Titanic tragically collided with an iceberg on its maiden voyage, ending what many believed to be a golden age of technological breakthroughs and man’s dominance over nature. Many accuse the Captain and others in command of ignoring messages of icefields and icebergs ahead, stating that they …
Author Gary Hibberd Ok before we start I’ll warn you this blog is about ‘Data Regulations’… Wait!! Wait! Don’t go!! Data Protection Regulations are VERY important to you and to me. They set the basic rules on how the information you share about yourself is managed by all those who have access to it. But …